Tropical hibiscus insect

Post here if you have insect problems on your houseplants or tropical plants
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Mary Beth
antispam: no

Tropical hibiscus insect

Post by Mary Beth » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Yesterday I noticed a black bug on my tropical hibiscus. The plant sits on my screened in porch. I sprayed it with a spray for white fly. It seems to have helped some but I still see some of the insects. I looked up insects that may be a problem for tropical hibiscus, but didn't see any that really looked like what I have on my plant. Can you give me some advice. I read on the insect site about an insect that may be in the soil if it's too wet. But I didn't know if this could be the culprit.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Bridgewater, VA

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Tropical hibiscus insect

Post by lorijones » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:08 pm

I need a little more information before I can answer your question. Was the black bug a beetle or more like a fly? Were they hovering around the soil or on the plant and if they were on the plant, were they eating the leaves or flowers? If they were hovering around the soil, they may be black fungus gnats. You can get rid of these by letting the top of the soil dry out between waterings and be sure to dump standing water out of the pot saucer. Let me know the answers to these questions and I will try to help you! Thanks.

Mary Beth

Post by Mary Beth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Lori,

Thank you for your help. I sort of figured it out on my own by doing some reading on your site. I think it was the fungus gnats. I had placed rocks on top of the soil to keep my cat from getting into the soil and I think it did not dry out completely since it was not in direct sun. I moved the pot onto the outside porch, removed the rocks and did not water it until the soil dried out. I also sprayed the soil and the plant - no more fungus gnats. The hibiscus seems to be doing fine now. Thank you again for your website. It is really helpful and informative.

Marybeth
city_state: Viette

Post by Marybeth » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:55 am

Were they hovering around the soil or on the plant and if they were on the plant, were they eating the leaves or flowers? If they were hovering around the soil, they may be black fungus gnats website
. You can get rid of these by letting the top of the soil dry out between waterings and be sure to dump standing water out of the pot saucer

Return to “Tropicals & Houseplants”