Organic pest control in my garden

Post here if you have insects eating up your vegetable crops
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Organic wannabe
antispam: no
city_state: Weyers cave, VA

Organic pest control in my garden

Post by Organic wannabe » Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm

What is a good organic way to control beetles in my garden. I found a yellow and green stripes beetle on my potato plants yesterday, and I saw some holes on the leaves. I am not sure if this type of beetle is doing the damage or if I have another kind of pest. I don't have a big garden, just raised bed garden of about 400 sq ft.altogether. This is my first year of attempting 100% organic garden.

Thank you for your help with this.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Organic pest control in my garden

Post by lorijones » Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 pm

There are loads of different beetles that munch on potato foliage. The most common is the Colorado potato beetle which is yellow with black stripes. There are several different products that are listed for organic gardening and that you can use to kill beetles. Any pesticide containing pyrethrin should work. Bonide makes a Pyrethrin Garden Insect Spray that will control many different types of insects. Bonide Garden Dust contains pyrethrin to kill insects and also sulfur and copper which will control many different vegetable diseases as well. Other beetle controls for organic gardening include Bonide's Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew and Colorado Potato Beetle Beater. These both contain spinosad which is derived from a naturally occurring soil bacterium. Spinosad works mainly on the beetle larvae.
I think any of these will help control these beetles when used according to the label directions.

NOTE: Even natural or organic products can be deadly to pollinators like bees. If possible DO NOT spray when plants are in bloom. If this is not possible, spray early in the morning or later in the evening when bees are less active and ALWAYS read the label!

mike11
city_state: maryland,syndey

Post by mike11 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:15 am

Organic wannabe wrote:What is a good organic pest control way to control beetles in my garden. I found a yellow and green stripes beetle on my potato plants yesterday, and I saw some holes on the leaves. I am not sure if this type of beetle is doing the damage or if I have another kind of pest. I don't have a big garden, just raised bed garden of about 400 sq ft.altogether. This is my first year of attempting 100% organic garden.

Hello,

Take time to inspect the outside of the home for easy access points, paying special attention to areas where utility pipes enter. Seal any small cracks and crevices with a silicone-based caulk. Use steel wool to fill larger gaps and holes, as pests are often deterred away from the roughness of the steel fibers.
Keep an eye out for signs of termite damage, such as mud tubes, soft wood that sounds hollow when tapped, and cracked or bubbling paint.
Properly landscape by keeping the grass cut low and ensuring tree branches, shrubbery and other vegetation is well trimmed and away from the house.
Clean out leaves and other debris from the gutters to prevent standing water, which can provide the perfect breeding ground for pests.

kylie26
city_state: Sydney

Post by kylie26 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:51 am

Organic wannabe wrote:
Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 pm
What is a good organic way to control beetles in my garden. I found a yellow and green stripes beetle on my potato plants yesterday, and I saw some holes on the leaves. I am not sure if this type of beetle is doing the damage or if I have another kind of pest. I don't have a big garden, just raised bed garden of about 400 sq ft.altogether. This is my first year of attempting 100% organic garden.

Hi,

Use bother hindrances, for example, coasting column spreads or sticky groups or copper strips to bar bugs from plants and planting beds. A "neckline" or ring of tar paper or cardboard pushed into the dirt around a plant will stop cutworms and slugs. 8. Urge valuable creepy crawlies to move to the nursery.
Thanks... :)

Return to “Vegetables”