cherry tree

Post here if you have insect problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Goochalndgardner
antispam: no
city_state: Kents Store Virginia

cherry tree

Post by Goochalndgardner » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 pm

I planted a cherry tree a coupla years ago and it seemed to have died over the winter. However several shoots have come up (about 2' tall). Will a new tree grow from one of these and do I cut all but one down?

Appledoc

Re: cherry tree

Post by Appledoc » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 am

Cherry trees are produced by grafting a preferred scion variety on a rootstock. If your sprouts are coming up from the ground it is probably root sprouts from below the graft union and it won't make very good fruit. (You may be able to see a distinct swelling near the ground line that would be the graft unon). If you think the sprouts are of the scion variety, then you should select the strongest one to grow into the tree. That your tree died back over the winter may not bode well for its long-term health it it was because of something like bacterial canker.

Incidentally, most sweet cherry trees need a pollinizer to produce fruit, so it would be good to check with a nursery about the needs of your variety:
http://www.acnursery.com/acn_cherry.php
Tart cherries are self-fertile and also serve as pollinizers for sweet cherries.

Goochalndgardner
antispam: no
city_state: Kents Store Virginia

Post by Goochalndgardner » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 am

Thanks. I will check to see where the shoot is coming from. Maybe I should just pull it out and start over. I have 3 other cherry trees - this one is a Black Tartarian - I have another one of these - I have a Bing and just planted a Montmorency.

Appledoc

Post by Appledoc » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55 pm

If it looks questionable, you probably would be better off removing the bad tree, especially if it is a duplicate. Your Montmorency tart cherry will meet pollination requirements of the sweet cherries. If you replant another tree, avoid putting it in the hole of the problem tree. Also consider the soil type and conditions where you plant- cherry trees do not like "wet feet".

Return to “Fruits & Berries”