plum curcullio problem

Post here if you have insect problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
northernspysgirl
antispam: no
city_state: Ringoes_NJ

plum curcullio problem

Post by northernspysgirl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:25 am

I can't get an apple that isn't free of Plum Curcullio. I spray with oil spray, fruit tree spray, surround(kayolin powder) and cover the 1"dia. apple with a stocking footie. HELP

Appledoc

Re: plum curcullio problem

Post by Appledoc » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 am

northernspygirl,

I assume you have correctly identified your plum curculio problem based on the diagnostic crescent-shaped wounds the female makes during the 30-day egg-laying period:
http://www.virginiafruit.ento.vt.edu/PCApple.html

The adults overwinter in the top few inches of leaf litter. They initially appear in apple orchards during bloom. Most activity occurs during the first warm period after petal fall, when the temperature reaches 70°F or higher. Adults can be found in orchards for 5 to 7 weeks. Egg laying activity starts once the fruit begins to form. There are two strains of plum curculio in Virginia. The northern strain has a dormant chilling requirement and only a single generation per season. The southern strain lacks this chilling requirement and can develop two generations seasonally. A rough dividing line for these two strains parallels the Blue Ridge Mountains to northern Virginia, then curves east through Delaware: http://www.virginiafruit.ento.vt.edu/pcmap.jpg

Control with Surround (kaolin clay) should start immediately at petal fall and continue through the end of the 30-day egg-laying control period. Sprays may need to be repeated every 7 days. If this schedule with Surround doesn’t give satisfactory results, you might try including a pyrethrum/ pyethrin product with apples on the label. In your case, the oil spray is ineffective and too early. Depending on what insecticide is in your “fruit tree spray”, it may also have been ineffective although your timing may have been correct. I suspect much of your damage is occurring soon after bloom, well before the fruit is 1 inch in diameter. A more intense Surround/ pyrethrin schedule can cause an increase in mites, so it is helpful to continue to use your oil spray to suppress early mite egg hatch.

Better luck this year!

Appledoc

northernspysgirl
city_state: Ringoes_NJ

Post by northernspysgirl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 am

I'll give it a try....thanks

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks giving a great answer Appledoc! We appreciate the help.

Savardsmore
city_state: Adona

Post by Savardsmore » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 am

Some problems have the factors along all details that were at this it was good to be get along the aspection polices. I need to fetch some formation that was at https://www.aussiewritingreviews.com/oz ... au-review/ this was the site that have all data on this along the all aspect policies that was useful to read.

Return to “Fruits & Berries”