Immortality Daylilies

Post here if you have insect problems on your perennials or bulbs.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Josie Reno
antispam: no
city_state: Xenia, Ohio

Immortality Daylilies

Post by Josie Reno » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:29 pm

I visited the Homestead and attended In the Garden several years ago. Mr. Viette provided us with bulbs of Immortality Daylilies. They bloomed until this year. The pods formed but never opened. Is there a disease or insect affecting them.

Josie Reno
Xenia, Ohio
Zone 4 or 5

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Immortality Daylilies

Post by lorijones » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 pm

This is probably due to some environmental factor rather than insects or disease. The daylily flower buds may have been damaged due to the very cold winter or possibly by one of the late spring freezes that we had this year. I would fertilize your daylily with Espoma Plant-tone this fall and again in the spring according to the label directions.
What color is your daylily? We do not have one called Immortality. There is a tall bearded iris named Immortality but not a daylily to my knowledge. If you let us know which year you attended the 'In the Garden Weekend' at the Homestead and what color the daylily is, I will be happy to try to find out the name of the daylily you received.

Josie Reno
city_state: Xenia, Ohio

Post by Josie Reno » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Sorry, it is an Iris. I've planted a lot of daylilies and they're all together with the iris. The daylilies bloomed but not the iris.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:40 pm

The iris flower buds were probably damaged by the very cold winter and/or the late spring freezes we had. I know this affected our iris bloom here at Viette's this year. There was much more cold damage to the iris than to the daylilies. Feed the iris with Plant-tone according to the label directions. They should bloom for you next year. I would also cut the foliage back to about 3" to 4" this fall and throw it away in your trash.

Marybeth
city_state: Viette

Post by Marybeth » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 am

This was classified by Paul Dietrich Giseke, a German botanist and close friend of the Swedish 'father of modern taxonomy' Carl Linnaeus. The (usually) white petals count as one flower and the cluster of (usually) tiny yellow disc petals that form the 'eye' is technically another.'Daes eag' is thought to mean 'day's eye', after the way in which it opens at dawn. Daisy leaves can make a tasty addition to salads (book of ra slot
 they're closely related to artichoke and are high in Vitamin C).Daisies are thought to slow bleeding, relieve indigestion and ease coughs. In homeopathy, the garden daisy is known as the gardener's friend for its ability to ease an aching back.

Return to “Perennials and Bulbs”