Rhubarb and lettuce

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
CarolN
antispam: no
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Rhubarb and lettuce

Post by CarolN » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:59 am

I'm in Dutchess County, NY. I planted lettuce seeds a few weeks back near a rhubarb plant. Hardly any of the seeds germinated. Do rhubarb and lettuce not like to grow together?
Thanks,
Carol

viette
city_state: Fishersville, VA

Re: Rhubarb and lettuce

Post by viette » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 pm

I have never heard of rhubarb inhibiting the germination of lettuce seeds or other seeds. I would be more suspicious of the viability of your lettuce seeds. Were the seeds fresh? Small seeds like lettuce and carrot seeds do not usually have a long storage life. I would sprinkle some between a damp paper towel and see if they germinate. If they do germinate, try sowing them again, perhaps in a different location. If they don't germinate or the germination rate is very low, you should purchase some new seeds.

CarolN
city_state: Union Vale, NY

Post by CarolN » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:05 am

The seeds are fresh. I bought them, and they are dated for, this year. I replanted them in a different area and they grew. I thought it was odd that they didn't germinate near the rhubarb.

viette
city_state: Fishersville, VA

Post by viette » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:38 am

Glad they germinated! Maybe it was just an environmental issue; water, temperature, or something else - or perhaps it was the rhubarb!

Return to “General Questions”