Butterfly Tree

Post here if you have problems on your trees
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
darica17
antispam: no
city_state: Northern California

Butterfly Tree

Post by darica17 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 pm

I have a Butterfly tree. It has a large tree trunk then a bunch of off shoots from that. I just bought my place last winter and my trees are probably 8-12 feet tall. It does look similar to the shrub though. So I am wondering do I cut it to 18 inches after the trunk of the tree? I did watch the video on YouTube. :?:

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Butterfly Tree

Post by lorijones » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 am

Assuming this is a butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii), it will bloom better if it is cut back in mid-April. Since these shrubs bloom on new wood, they should be cut back to 12"-18” each spring. Your shrub will respond by putting on vigorous new growth which will give you bigger and more abundant flowers throughout the season.

darica17
city_state: Northern California

Post by darica17 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Thank-you for your response. It really can not be cut back that far. The bush is really a tree, It has a trunk of around 8" and limbs coming off it that are around 3". It is 3-4 feet taller than my roof, so close to 14 feet. It usually blooms numerous times in the spring through fall. I am afraid to cut it back that far. My brother-in-law says he has never seen any this size or one that looks like these. I have 3. The flowers look just like what is on the bushes though.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 am

Buddleia can get pretty robust stems if they are not cut back each year but I've never seen one with a trunk that large. You are in Northern California so perhaps it is a different tree/shrub. If possible, would you upload a photo of the shrub as a whole, a closeup of its leaves, and a picture of its flowers if you have one? That would help to make sure we give you the correct information. Thanks!

Neosphere
city_state: Kathmandu_Nepal

Post by Neosphere » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 am

Hey all,
Hello, I am a newbie here...

Return to “Trees including Evergreens and Ornamentals”