hibiscus diseases in the Bahamas

Post here if you have disease problems with your tropicals or houseplants.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
edownes
antispam: no

hibiscus diseases in the Bahamas

Post by edownes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I just recently returned from the Abacos in the Bahamas. The locals are having problems with the Hibiscus there. They are not budding, but instead are growing tiny clusters of small, misshappen leaves at the tips of the branches where buds usually form. These bushes eventually fail and die. These are native bushes and have been growing well up to this point. I have promised some my friends there that I will try to help them out. Any thoughts?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: hibiscus diseases in the Bahamas

Post by lorijones » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 pm

This is probably damage from the pink mealybug which has been devastating to these native hibiscus. They were causing a lot of damage to the hibiscus in Andre's tropical gardens on St. Thomas. He has them mostly under control now. His advice is to cut the hibiscus back hard (to 18"-24") and then spray them with an insecticide containing Imidacloprid (trade name Merit). Be sure to bag up the trimmings and remove them from the premises! You may also want to drench the soil with Bayer Advanced 12 Month Tree & Shrub Insect Control which contains Imidacloprid. This systemic insect control will help protect them from this devastating pest throughout the year.

edownes

Re: hibiscus diseases in the Bahamas

Post by edownes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:19 am

Hi. I just checked this site and found your reply. Thank you so much, I will pass this info on to the folks in Abacos and also give them the email address for this site. Thanks, any further help will, of course, be appreciated. L

Return to “Tropicals & Houseplants”