Orchids

Post here if you have disease problems with your tropicals or houseplants.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
steeping
antispam: no

Orchids

Post by steeping » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:35 pm

My husband gave me an orchid for Easter. The container thats its in is very small and there is no dirt, just ALOT of roots. When should I transplant it with dirt? Right now it is beautiful with 10 to 12 flowers and 6 new buds. I've never had an orchid and have heard they are hard to keep alive. Any suggestions? Cathy from Harrisonburg

fisher94
antispam: no

Re: Orchids

Post by fisher94 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Orchids are not as hard to grow as their reputation makes them out to be. They are normally not grown in typical potting soil. They derive their nutrition mostly from the aerial roots that they put out. They are mostly potted in a coarse bark mix just to hold them erect in the pot. I wouldn't do anything with it now while it is blooming - it will probably keep blooming for quite a while! Here is a link to a page with some additional information: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=507.

Return to “Tropicals & Houseplants”