container gardenia

Post here if you have disease problems with your tropicals or houseplants.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
micheleciuro
antispam: no
city_state: Mt Laurel, NJ

container gardenia

Post by micheleciuro » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 am

what's the best way to treat a small gardenia I have had for a yr now. It is in @12" container and is about 1.5' high. I have had yellowing of leaves and found it needs to be moist, how moist is moist? It is in a east facing window. i just feed it hollytone. i want to put it outside after last frost I am in zone 7, southern coastal jersey.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: container gardenia

Post by lorijones » Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Be sure that the container you have this in drains well - it must have a drain hole. Soil that is too wet can lead to "wet feet" which can cause yellowing of the leaves. Be sure to water "wet to dry", i.e.: water well and then let it approach dryness and then water again. Your gardenia can go outside May 15th to June 1st depending on the nighttime temperatures. Keep it in bright shade. You may need to repot it into a bigger pot (16") if it seems root bound.

Return to “Tropicals & Houseplants”