Black Rot on Grapes

Post here if you are having disease problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
Ellie
antispam: no
city_state: Orange, VA 22960

Black Rot on Grapes

Post by Ellie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 am

I would like to know what to use and when to spray a Concord grapevine to prevent blackspot. In previous years, it has been covered with grapes only to have them turn black and shrivel into hard little raisins. Also, it would be helpful to know exactly when to prune them for our area of Va. Thanks for your help. The grapevine is located near Ruckersville,VA.

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Black Rot on Grapes

Post by lorijones » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Black rot can be devastating to grape crops. The most important control measure is to practice good sanitation around your grapevines. In the fall, rake up and dispose of (do not compost) all the dropped leaves and fruits. Remove all mummified grapes left hanging on the vines. In the spring, spray with Bonide Liquid Copper Fungicide according to the label directions to control the fungus that causes black rot.
As far as pruning, the best time to prune is in late winter or early spring before the buds begin to swell. Here is a link that describes how to prune grapes: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/publications/rg502.pdf

cms
city_state: red lion, pa 17356

Post by cms » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:13 pm

We also seem to have black rot! This is the first year that we even had any grapes and we have alot! Not all of them are affected. What can we do at this point! We live in Red Lion ,PA. South Central PA.

Sandysuew
city_state: New Bloomfield PA

Post by Sandysuew » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:01 am

I just planted three vines this year (more on the way)one up and died in Aug. One is struggling and one had some grapes -about three edible, the rest were covered with black spots. I spayed with my fruit tree spray (Bonide) x2 and that is when the one died. Is there a better spray?

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am

Sanitation around the plants is critical to control of this disease. It is very important to remove all fallen leaves and grape mummies (including those that have remained on the plant) in the fall. In the spring spray with a copper fungicide or a fruit tree spray that contains captan such as Bonide Fruit Tree Spray concentrate (Not Bonide Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray Concentrate - this does not contain captan). Timing of the fungicide sprays is critical for controlling black rot. Here is a tip from our website that outlines the proper timing of the fungicide sprays: http://www.inthegardenradio.com/v.php?pg=183.
I would fertilize the plants with Espoma Holly-tone now and again in the spring or apply 1lb or 10-10-10 per plant in the early spring.

Return to “Fruits & Berries”