No Blueberries

Post here if you are having disease problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
gary6497
antispam: no
city_state: Mechanicsville, Va

No Blueberries

Post by gary6497 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:52 am

I have 3 blueberries and get maybe four blueberries from them. I check the soil ph which is OK. What can I do to get a higher yield?

Thanks

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: No Blueberries

Post by lorijones » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:16 pm

The first question is, how old are your blueberry bushes? It can take up to 6-8 years for them to reach maturity and begin strong production. You may just have to be more patient if your shrubs are still young. Our bushes started producing well after about 6-7 years.
Do they produce flowers in the spring? If you are seeing lots of flowers but still get no fruit, you may have a pollination problem. This may be weather related or due to a lack of pollinators. Bees love blueberry flowers and you should see lots of bees around you plants when they are blooming. If not, this could be the problem - lack of pollination. If you noticed some fruit early on but it disappeared, you could have birds stealing all your berries!
This past winter was extremely cold and we had some late spring frosts and freezes. This could have affected the bloom and/or berry production for this year. Our blueberries did not produce nearly as many berries as they did last year and I'm sure it was in part due to the weather.
Are they getting plenty of sun? Lack of adequate sunlight is one of the main reasons that plants don't bloom.
Your soil pH should be between 4.5 and 5.5 for best success. You indicated that your pH was fine so that shouldn't be an issue. Is the soil nice and moist (but not wet) during the growing season? They prefer nice moist organic soil. It also really helps to mulch them with pine needles or pine bark mulch. Blueberries are pretty shallow-rooted so mulching keeps the soil evenly moist which is important.
Be sure to feed them with a good organic fertilizer like Espoma Holly-tone and/or Cottonseed Meal according to the label directions. Feed them in the spring and fall.
Have they ever been pruned? Blueberries normally do not need any pruning for the first 4 years. Most of the berries are produced on wood that is 4-6 years old. Older blueberry bushes should be pruned in late winter or early spring before growth begins. The best way to prune them is to remove any crossing branches, broken branches, and weak, drooping branches. You should remove older branches that are no longer productive and any really twiggy stems, but do not remove more than 20% of the growth in any one season. Tip back branches that are too tall and thin out some of the end twigs to encourage more fruit production.
Good luck! I'm sure you will be harvesting blueberries before too long!

Return to “Fruits & Berries”