Spraying peaches

Post here if you are having disease problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
tdunn
antispam: no
city_state: seven valleys, pa

Spraying peaches

Post by tdunn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Lori,

With that gel like substance already on some of my peaches is it too late to start spraying and if not what would be best to use?

Thanks,

Tom

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: Spraying peaches

Post by lorijones » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:54 pm

This is probably being caused by insect damage. It could be from the oriental fruit moth, plum curculios, or from something like stinkbugs. I had this occur on my peaches last year and it was caused by stinkbugs. Wherever they pierced the peach to suck the juices, clear gel oozed from the spot.
If it is the oriental fruit moth, you will see the larvae of the moths inside the peaches near the pit if you cut a peach in half. There isn't much you can do at this point if this is the problem because the larvae are protected inside the peach. This is also true with the plum curculios. If it is stink bugs or some other insect, then spraying may help.
It is always a good practice to spray fruit trees on a regular spray schedule with a fruit tree spray such as Bonide Orchard Spray or Bonide Fruit Tree and Plant Guard according to the label directions. These products contain both a fungicide and an insecticide. Never spray when the trees are in flower. The first spray should be a horticultural oil spray in the late winter. Then begin with the fruit tree spray according the the spray schedule on the label. That should help with insect and disease problems. If you can find the new product, Fruit Tree & Plant Guard, that would be one of the best. Good luck! I hope you are able to get at least some peaches from your trees this year.

Return to “Fruits & Berries”