hardy kiwi

Post here if you are having disease problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
dgetzand
antispam: no
city_state: knoxville md

hardy kiwi

Post by dgetzand » Sun May 05, 2013 12:36 pm

i have a male and female hardy kiwi vine i planted 3 years ago in knoxville md. they have only grown a tiny bit since i planted them. what seems to happen is there is dies back on all of the new growth. the ends of the vines wither and die. i was hoping this year would be different but i am already seeing the tips of the vines die off. help.

lorijones
Site Admin
antispam: no

Re: hardy kiwi

Post by lorijones » Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm

This sounds like phytophthora crown/root rot. It is a serious disease that affects the hardy kiwi. Because it damages the roots, it causes slow growth of the plants and the dieback or stunting of the new growth. Plants that are planted in heavy soils that do not drain well are especially susceptible to this disease. Well drained soil is very important for kiwis.
You can try spraying with Bonide Fung-onil Concentrate which is listed for phytophthora dieback. Prune out dead branches cutting back well into healthy tissue and spray with Bonide Fung-onil according to the label directions. This may not cure the infected kiwis though as the fungus is in the soil but may help control its spread to new growth. Soil drenches to control Phytophthora fungus are not available to the homeowner. Be sure that the soil where these are planted is well-drained and not soggy. Be careful not to overwater (especially if you have an underground sprinkling system). Try to water in the morning so that the foliage has a chance to dry during the day or if you hand water, try to avoid wetting the foliage. Water deeply when you water so that you only need to water once every 7-10 days.
Here is some information on growing kiwis from our friends from Edible Landscaping: http://ediblelandscaping.com/careguide/Kiwi/. The information on phytophthora is at the bottom of the page.

Return to “Fruits & Berries”