blueberries leaves falling

Post here if you are having disease problems on your fruit trees or berry bushes
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
genegrim
antispam: no
city_state: Spring Grove, PA

blueberries leaves falling

Post by genegrim » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:03 pm

My blueberry plants looked good in April but early in May the new leaves got pink and yellow and then fall off and the berries stop developing. This issues starts at the top of the plants with the newest shoots. The leave analysis only shows the plants low in zinc and above normal in nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus.
Spring Grove, PA

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: blueberries leaves falling

Post by lorijones » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:20 pm

How long have these plants been in the ground? Do you know what the pH of your soil is? Blueberries require a fairly acidic soil, pH between 4 and 5.2. A pH above this results in iron deficiency which results in interveinal yellowing of the young leaves. It looks like they are mulched with a hardwood mulch which over time can raise the pH of the soil. It looks like you have a watering system set up - how often are these being watered? Blueberries have very shallow roots systems and wet soils can lead to root rot which can also cause the leaves to turn a reddish color, then yellow and then they drop from the plant. Check the soil and make sure it is not wet. Water deeply when you water but do not water more often that once a week or 10 days.

genegrim
city_state: Spring Grove, PA

Re: blueberries leaves falling

Post by genegrim » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:19 pm

They were 3 yr. old plants that were put in the ground in April 2010. So they are 6 yrs old. I did not irrigate this year until June and the ground does drain well. I have a pH meter and all the reading were below 5 with some at 3.5. I have 200 plants and over half of them are losing there leaves.

Return to “Fruits & Berries”