Rose Blackspot

Post here if you are having disease problems with your roses.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Rose Blackspot

Postby louisaford2tmk17p2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:35 pm

I have one climbing rose that last year was badly diseased with black spot last summer. I have eight other rose bushes all in a parterre garden in Williamsburg, VA. Four of the other roses experienced some black spot, but thankfully not much. I used various sprays and granules last summer to stop the problem. What do you recommend I use now or in early March to get ahead of this problem.

A couple of weeks ago I called your show mentioning my thrip problem on some of the roses last summer. You suggested I use the Bayer Advanced drench early this spring to prevent the trip from returning. I plan to do that very soon. Thank you very much.

Re: Rose Blackspot

Postby lorijones » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:46 pm

One of the most important things you can do to help prevent disease in roses and other plants is to practice good garden sanitation. Be sure to rake up all the leaves and debris from under your roses and discard it in the trash - do not compost. Here is a link that will give you some good ideas on garden clean up: Even though this is a tip for the fall, it should still be taken care of now if you haven't already done so.

Proper nutrition will also help your roses fight disease and stay healthy so be sure to fertilize them according to Andre's recommendations for yearly fertilizer applications (found at the bottom of the page):

The Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose and Flower Care that Andre suggested you use for thrips, will also help control the black spot on your roses. This product is a drench that is three systemic products in one. It controls a variety of insects, diseases (including black spot), and also includes a fertilizer. Bayer Advanced also makes a product, Disease Control for Roses, Flowers, and Shrubs, that can be sprayed on the roses during the growing season. This product is listed for use on black spot on roses and is available in a concentrate. Remember: Always read and follow the label directions when using any pesticide!
Site Admin

Re: Rose Blackspot

Postby louisaford2tmk17p2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Thank you,
I will follow your suggestions.....especially the clean-up part.

Louisa :D

Return to Rose Diseases