Rose bud issue

Post here if you are having disease problems with your roses.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Rose bud issue

Postby Wanda » Wed May 28, 2014 3:12 pm

I have a large, old timey, pink, very fragrant, bloom-once-in-Spring rose bush. It is very hardy although I did have to prune out many dead stems after Winter finally finished with it. It has many blooms but this year (and this has happened frequently in the past) many of the tiny little buds turn yellowish and will drop off if touched lightly. There seem to be more than usual this time around. Is wet weather causing this? Disease? I see no pests. The leaves are healthy and the blooms that have come are lovely. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Re: Rose bud issue

Postby lorijones » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:02 pm

This is probably weather related since the leaves are healthy and it has not affected all the blooms. It doesn't sound like an insect or disease problem because you aren't seeing any other signs and the rose seems healthy otherwise. My guess is that the wet weather may be the cause. Overwatering can cause bud drop in many plants and excess rainfall can lead to the same problems. Some of the buds may also have been damaged by the late frosts we had in April and May.

If your rose continues to be healthy, I'm sure it will be fine. However, I would feed it with Espoma Rose-tone according to the label directions, if you haven't already done so this spring, .
Site Admin

Return to Rose Diseases