Crimson Glory Rose Bush

Post here if you are having disease problems with your roses.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Crimson Glory Rose Bush

Postby ellen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 am

I have my rose bush for 27 years. In the past 2-3 years the thorns have been increasing to the point where now you can hardly see the stems. The thorns used to be spaced very far apart. Is there something wrong with this rose bush? What can I do to fix this problem? The rose bush faces East and gets the morning sun and I can't move it. I don't want to lose it since it has sentimental value.

I live near Princeton, NJ.

Thanks for your help. Ellen

Re: Crimson Glory Rose Bush

Postby lorijones » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:25 pm

One of the most common causes of excess thorn production in roses is the viral disease, rose rosette. Unfortunately there is no cure for this and the rose will usually die within a few years. It can quickly spread to other nearby roses so if you have other roses planted in the area, you should take a sample to your local extension office to have it tested. If you do indeed have this disease, the plant should be removed and destroyed. Here is a great article on rose rosette virus: It will explain some of the other symptoms and may help you determine if your rose bush indeed has this virus.
If it doesn't display any of the other symptoms of the disease, cut your rose back to 6" from the ground around March 1st and dispose of the cuttings in a bag in the trash - do not compost them. Feed it with Espoma Rose-tone and hope for the best. It's possible that it is not this dreaded disease.
Site Admin

Return to Rose Diseases