Sudden death Knockout rose

Post here if you are having disease problems with your roses.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Sudden death Knockout rose

Postby Wanda » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:31 am

I planted a Knockout 'Radrazz' 3 years ago which grew & bloomed wonderfully as they usually do around here. A week ago it was beautiful & healthy. One day later the whole bush was wilted and continued to do so until all that remains now is a 5 ft. mound of 'shredded wheat'. The bush is completely dried & dead.

Location is western side of house about 3-4 ft. from the foundation, on the corner. There are many tall trees 20-30' away which shade it from hot afternoon sun. I have not uprooted it yet. Plan to soon and hopefully will find something that will give me a clue as to the problem. What could be the cause of such an incident? There are several other Knockouts on the property doing fine.

I am assuming it is something systemic (?) A wilt?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Sudden death Knockout rose

Postby lorijones » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

It could be a sudden death wilt. 'Radrazz' is a good variety. It is most likely a root problem. When you pull up the rose, check the roots for vole damage which could cause this type of quick wilting and death. It is not a typical rose disease.
If you plant another rose to replace this one, plant it in another location.
Site Admin

Return to Rose Diseases