aristocrat pear berry problem

Post here if you have disease problems on deciduous trees, evergreens, or ornamental trees like dogwoods or crape myrtles
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
ccx2
antispam: no
city_state: Virginia Beach_VA

aristocrat pear berry problem

Post by ccx2 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Hello and thank you for your help.
I have a 30 year old aristocrat pear tree that for the first time the berries that were produced this spring or either did not fall off last winter have a soft spiked orange growth on them that falls off like pollen and the driveway and ground around it is colored orange. the tree looks healthy otherwise with just some insect damage to some of the leaves [holes]. Any idea what this might be ?

ccx2

Re: aristocrat pear berry problem

Post by ccx2 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm new to this forum and notice I've had 5 views of my post. Does someone from the forum answer my question or someone from Andee Viette's people try to figure out my problem. I love his radio show and listen to it often ,should i call the show to get my answer ? Thanks.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:02 pm

It looks like your pear has been infected with cedar-quince rust. This fungal disease requires two hosts to complete its life cycle. The initial infection comes from cedar trees and the secondary hosts are usually hawthorne, serviceberry, quince, apples, and crabapples but recently it has been diagnosed on some varieties of Callery pear. This rust disease mostly affects the fruit causing it to become shrunken and then small white tubes, about the size of pencil lead, protrude as far as 1/4" from the surface. Bright orange spores are shed from these tubes and carried by wind back to cedars for fall infections.
Since it usually only affects the fruit and Callery pears do not set a lot of fruit, I wouldn't think you would need to worry about controlling the disease. You could spray your tree with a copper fungicide in the spring when you notice the orange blisters on the branches of the cedar trees. The problem is that these are much less visible than the larger cedar-apple rust galls.
Here is some information on this fungal disease with some photos of the cedar-quince rust lesions on a cedar branch and a photo of how the cedar-apple rust looks when it is infecting a young apple. This is similar to what the cedar-quince rust might look like on your pear fruit. This information is from a blog post I wrote on the cedar rust diseases: https://viettes.wordpress.com/2011/04/2 ... %E2%80%A6/.

ccx2

Post by ccx2 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:34 am

Thank you loriejones, your info is exactly what my tree has.I really appreciate your time and info.

Return to “Trees including Evergreens and Ornamentals”