disease in pear trees

Post here if you have disease problems on deciduous trees, evergreens, or ornamental trees like dogwoods or crape myrtles
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
schwartzlow
antispam: no
city_state: Williamsburg,VA

disease in pear trees

Post by schwartzlow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:31 pm

We have 3 flowering pear trees that were beautiful in the spring. Shortly after,we began to see dying leaves. We thought at first frost bite but since, it has continued to happen as new growth appears. Any suggestions for what is going on and
what kind of treatment is needed? thanks

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: disease in pear trees

Post by lorijones » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm suspicious that your trees are infected with fire blight. This is a bacterial disease that is common in pears and other members of the rose family. Check the stems with the dead leaves to see if they are blackened and if the tips are bent over like a shepherd's crook. The leaves typically turn black rather than brown. These are tell-tale signs of fire blight. Since this is a bacterial disease, it is hard to combat. At this time, the only option is to carefully prune out all the blighted stems and tissue. It is very important to prune well below the the diseased portion of the branch. Here is a link that gives specifics on pruning out fire blight: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7414.html.
Once you have correctly pruned out all the blighted stems and tissue, you won't need to do anything until next spring. In the spring during flowering, spray with Bonide Liquid Copper Fungicide according to the label directions. The blossoms must be sprayed because the bacteria usually enters through the flower and infects the wood. As you will see when you read the label, it will take several applications of Copper sulfate to help control the fire blight.
If the trees do not recover, consider replacing the trees with varieties that are resistant to fire blight.

bjonesva5
city_state: Mechanicsville Va

Post by bjonesva5 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am

I was looking at my Pear tree and I think this is what is affecting it, I am going to follow the recommendations, but I have one other question, should this not work and I need to remove the tree entirely can you replant in the same location as the tree you removed? If I remove the tree I want to replace it, and would like to replant in the same location.

lorijones
Site Admin

Post by lorijones » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:03 pm

The fire blight bacteria are pretty much restricted to the host tree and generally do not survive or overwinter outside the tree. For this reason, the soil does not normally act as a reservoir for the bacteria. Trees are infected from other nearby trees that have fire blight cankers already. If you do need to replace the tree, there shouldn't be any problem replanting another tree in the same location but please consider replacing it with a more blight resistant variety. Here is a link that provides some information on fire blight susceptibility in different pears: http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/ta ... ghtsus.htm. Be sure to check your other trees carefully for signs of the fire blight canker and do some careful pruning if you see any.

Return to “Trees including Evergreens and Ornamentals”