weeds

Click this forum to ask questions and get answers about the weeds in your lawn. Find advice on when to treat and what to use for many different lawn weeds.
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.
beths
antispam: no
city_state: Richmond Virginia

weeds

Post by beths » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:00 pm

I have heard that using cornmeal will kill weeds and prevent others from germinating. If this is accurate, can cornmeal be used in a flower bed with bulbs (I do not want to prevent them from blooming)?

lorijones
Site Admin

Re: weeds

Post by lorijones » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Corn meal does not kill or suppress weeds. What you may be thinking of is corn gluten meal. Corn gluten meal comes from the part of the corn kernel that is NOT used in making corn meal. Corn gluten meal is high in nitrogen and apparently makes a good lawn fertilizer. Corn gluten meal is known to kill newly sprouted seedlings by inhibiting root growth. The seedlings eventually die of dessication before they get very big. Corn meal does not have this effect on weeds.
The problem is that the timing and conditions have to be just right for the corn gluten meal to work as a weed suppressor. It must be applied just before the weed seeds germinate. It will not kill any weed seedlings that have already established a root system. In fact, it actually enhances the growth of these older weed seedlings by providing the nitrogen that they need to flourish!
As far as using corn gluten meal in a flower bed, this will not harm established plants or bulbs or keep them from blooming. Do not use it in a flower bed where you are planing to plant flower seeds as the corn gluten meal will prevent the growth of the flower seedlings. Keep in mind that corn gluten meal will not kill weeds that have already grown - you must first get rid of those weeds. Once the bed is clean of weeds, put down the corn gluten meal according to the label directions to prevent new weeds from becoming established.

rentemailad742
city_state: Amsterdam

Re: weeds

Post by rentemailad742 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:22 pm

I use Bi-carb and white vinegar, and they don't grow back I have done it once in 12 months, saying this I don't have weeds on the beds just on the paths, playground etc.. might be worth ago. Growing https://www.gyo.green/emerald-triangle- ... bog-f.html is such a pain in the neck once weeds come in picture.

Return to “Lawn Weeds”