Insects on Vinca

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Insects on Vinca

Postby Helen Shickel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Lori, thanks for your reply to my previous questions. My vinca are planted in well drained flower beds with no excessive rain. There is no spotting on leaves or yellowing of leaves and stems are not turning black. I have recently found several orangish-brown beetles which fly in these flowers. Do know what that might be and could it be killing the plants? Most of the plants in two rows approx. 20 feet long look beautiful but one-by-one they are dying. Thanks for your help.
Helen Shickel

Re: Insects on Vinca

Postby lorijones » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:52 am

It seems like this may be a root problem. It is possible that a soil borne fungus is the culprit or perhaps nematodes. When you pulled up the dead plants did the roots look normal or did they look diseased or have root knots on them? I doubt it has anything to do with the beetles. If they were eating the leaves, you would notice that and if they were spreading a disease, you would notice some type of yellowing or spotting in the leaves I think.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Annuals, Tropicals, and Houseplants