petunia wilt

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

petunia wilt

Postby mciuro » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:35 pm

I live on the south jersey coast, on the bay. I seem to have a problem with petunias wilting. is it moisture related. I have purchased superbells and wave and they both have it happened to them.
any suggestions
mciuro

Re: petunia wilt

Postby lorijones » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 pm

It could be a watering issue or it could be disease. Under watering and over watering can both cause wilting in plants. Depending on the size of your containers, you should water them when the top 2"-3" of the soil is dry. This could be once every 3 days, once every 10 days, or anywhere in between - it depends on the container and your soil mix.
If it is one of the wilt diseases such as Verticillium, you will see black streaks in the stem tissue if you cut the stem longitudinally down the middle. There is not much you can do for this except to remove the plants and soil, scrub out the pots with a 10% bleach solution, and let them dry. Then fill the pots with new soil and new plants.
HOPEFULLY, this is just a watering issue, though!
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Annuals, Tropicals, and Houseplants