Double Impatiens Plant

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Double Impatiens Plant

Postby adit1999 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:59 pm

I bought impatiens last month but after 2 days it start falling flowers and after 1 week it leaves are starting to fall. Can you please tell what I am doing wrong or can you give me some tips that my impatiens start blooming again and leaves don't fall. Also, what is the good place that have full shade because my impatiens label says full shade. I don't get it. What is the good place that have full shade. Thank you
adit1999

Re: Double Impatiens Plant

Postby lorijones » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm

The problem you are seeing is undoubtedly caused by impatiens downy mildew. This fungal disease is very serious and has become fairly widespread in the past few years. It has been devastating crops of impatiens in many areas of the country affecting both containerized plants and landscape plantings. Cool, wet weather is conducive to the spread of this disease.

Preventative applications of fungicides have been somewhat successful but once a plant is infected, control is virtually impossible. Infected plants should be bagged up and removed along with all dropped leaves. Do not compost - dispose of this in the trash.

You may want to consider planting other shade tolerant annuals that are not susceptible to this fungal disease. Some suggestions are: New Guinea Impatiens, coleus, begonia, torenia, perilla, browallia, fuchsia, and lobelia.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Annuals, Tropicals, and Houseplants