Peace Lily problem

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Peace Lily problem

Postby PeteV » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:48 pm

I know everyone says a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum) is easy to grow, but not us! My problem is not just that we can't get our peace lilies to bloom, but everyone we get seems to die, albeit slowly. The places we've had them in the house are all generally low light (not many windows) although one of them is in a brighter area but without direct sunlight hitting it.

We live in the piedmont of NC, so in the winter humidity inside is lower (35-40%?) but in the summer, indoor humidity can climb a lot (perhaps 50-60%). The air conditioner keeps the humidity from getting as high as it is outside, but we do have to run a de-humidifier downstairs (half below-grade) to take more humidity out. But, we keep the lilies upstairs (where the humidity is probably 50-60%).

I think we only water them about once a week, but are we watering them too much? Usually the soil still feels somewhat damp when it's time for the next weekly watering.

I've also wondered if they need to be re-potted with better soil. Usually, (if not always) we've gotten the peace lily from a florist as a gift. Perhaps the lilies are too big for the pot they come in, and/or the soil the florist uses for them is not enough or not good enough.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
PeteV

Re: Peace Lily problem

Postby lorijones » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am

It sounds like it may be lack of humidity and possibly over watering. Peace lilies thrive in humidity and some recommend that you mist them once a day. You can set the pots on a pebble tray (fill a tray or saucer with pebbles and fill with water up to the top of the stones) to increase the humidity around the plants. Keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy. Water when the top inch or so begins to dry out and be careful not to overwater. Peace lilies are also sensitive to chlorine so if you have chlorinated tap water, let it sit out for 24 hours in an open container before using it to water the plants or water with distilled water. They do well in indirect or filtered sun. Direct sunlight can damage the foliage causing brown edges on the leaves. You may want to repot them into fresh all purpose potting soil. Spring is the best time to do this. Fertilize them once a month during the spring and summer growing season with an all purpose houseplant fertilizer diluted to 1/2 or 1/4 of the recommended strength. I hope this helps!
lorijones
Site Admin

Re: Peace Lily problem

Postby PeteV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks very much for your answer! I'll try your suggestions.
PeteV

Return to Annuals, Tropicals, and Houseplants