Forcing Paperwhites

Post your questions here. Be sure to include where you are from (city & state).
Forum rules
You can view the posts to the forum without registering but in order to post a question or reply to a post you must register as a user. Once you register, you can log in and join the discussion or post a question.

To post your question, select the appropriate category and simply click on NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY to an existing topic.

To upload a photo, just click on the "upload attachment" tab below the text box when you are posting a question or a reply.

Remember to include where you live (city & state) in your post, so you will get the best answer for your particular area.

Forcing Paperwhites

Postby jcshaffer23111 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 am

Hello,

I am trying to force paperwhites for the first time. I have 6 of them in a terra cotta 8" pot and dish with very good drainage ( I sat the pot up on three stones so as not to re-absorb the water). I buried the bulbs to the tops and saturated them. Now do I put them in a sunny location or a dark location until they sprout?

Thanks,
Jim
Mechanicsville, VA
jcshaffer23111

Re: Forcing Paperwhites

Postby lorijones » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:40 pm

You can place your pot in a sunny, warm location until they flower. Once they are blooming, move them out of direct sun so the flowers last longer. If you want to try to keep the stems shorter so they are less likely to flop over when they are blooming, keep them in a cooler location for 3-4 weeks and then move them to a warm location. Here are some tips on growing paperwhites: http://www.viette.com/v.php?pg=437.
lorijones
Site Admin

Return to Annuals, Tropicals, and Houseplants